Volunteering in Ghana 2009

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fica enye e chi le fe? (Where is the bathroom?)

I purchased 35 boards for doors and windows about six days ago. As the boards came in they were worked on by an honest carpenter that I met through Kieran. He said that he was able to assist in all future projects without having to hassle over a price each time a task would be assigned. The week following the parent teacher meeting I have noticed more parents giving towards fuel for the van, which was a fuss beforehand and may continue to be one in the future. Despite that, I know that an understanding was made at the PTA, and I look forward to the next meeting in December.

The meeting with the other volunteer organization went well as free labor has been promised in exchange for accommodations to house at least seven Canadians. We will be setting up a painting and desk building project while they stay near the school.

More discussion in regards to future plans occurred, such as when and where the toilet placement would be on site as well as repairs to the existing structure. As far as labor was concerned several days were wasted by laborers claiming to come and finish but then not showing up.

Yesterday could have been the most difficult day so far. The start of the day was slow but had me skipping lunch to stain frames in the school structure. While staining, a student frantically shouted my direction in ewe about some kind of scuffle near the road. As I approached people gathered and explained that one of the students had thrown a rock at a passing vehicle, which struck a girl in the head. After using very basic first aid, and being disgusted, I traveled back to Ho for a meeting. However, before the meeting began I got pretty sick. Just before going to the meeting, police decided to raid the home my friend and I went to, falsely accusing us of a drug deal. They insisted on a search and then attempted to take us away. We almost were taken to jail but my friend (Kakra) knew two of the officers who instructed the other officers to leave us be. Thursday (today) could not have come any sooner...

Ending on a positive note, the carpentry is coming along great, thanks to Deon and his team.

No comments:

Post a Comment